Saturday, May 29, 2010

Welcome to The world...Of whorecraft

Well I have recently have had my end semester exams, which have literally drained the life of me;almost. While I was in this current zombified state, i decided to visit my old server of Dath'Remar, where I had spent many, many hours trolling and rolling around the server, where i spent a vast majority of my LK raiding time. I have to say, a lot changes in a month. Just like life, the internal metronome of warcraft beats hard and fast; i noticed friends and guildies had left for other servers, other factions, not only that but i was happy to see many new faces. I also had noticed that their progression into icecrown was a little behind my expectations. I also strolled through the realm forum, generally looking at the server's general progression, *I was disappoint. It occured to me that this same guild has spent countless hours focusing on what would be placed in their definition of completing cutting edge progression.

But at what point does, what could be considered 'brute forcing' a boss down become hopeless?
Do we as raiders turn the raiding game into an office job, pushing the numbers until what we have is a somewhat rushed sense of progression? Is that all PvE is; A fight for GS?

Now, as raiders the initial cycle of raiding is very obvious to anyone who has spent >10hours in a 25man; we see the cycle as:
1. We get epics
2. With these epics we can complete further progression
3. Even if we don't kill the next boss, it's alright because next week we will have more gear and down it.
4. We will farm the current content, then more will be released, ad infinitum.

Now looking at the big picture, this seems somewhat pointless right? Well the ingenious work of blizzard allows this big machine to be segmented into gears and nuts and bolts. 90% of the time as raiders we only see the next gear of this machine, the next boss kill, the next achievement, the next drake, the next title, and all this time it is churning out the very thing that people despise; ignorant failure.

PvE drags people into the mindset of micro-progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment